Baby movement monitors are relatively new baby care devices made available to consumers. These devices are the much simpler yet just as effective counterparts of the apnea monitors that hospitals use. And much like the latter, baby movement monitors also keep track of vibrations that come from the monitored child. At any time the baby ceases to move, the device will set off an alarm so that the parents and/or carer can immediately intervene and save the child’s life.
Two Basic Designs
Baby movement monitors come in two basic designs. The first one is the under-the-mattress type which comes with sensor pads that are meant to be placed beneath the bed or mat where infant will sleep.
The second type is a relatively newer design and these are called the clip-on baby movement monitors. And just like the name implies, these gadgets are smaller and more compact and they are typically clipped onto the baby’s clothes, particularly into the diaper waistband.
Clip-on and under-the-mattress baby movement monitors have a handful of differences and these are:
1. Size. Clip-on types have been designed to be compact and mobile. This is why most of these brands are lightweight and can very well fit in the palm of a hand. Under-the-mattress designs, on the other hand, typically come with a number of separate components. Normally, these assemblies come with nursery units which are usually like the size of a handheld household appliance, like a small radio for example. Under-the-mattress assemblies also come with sensor pads and these are as thick as a typical laptop. Lastly, these types of baby movement monitors come with transceivers, usually two, and each unit is as big as a normal mobile phone.
2. Placement. Clip-ons are normally attached onto the child’s diaper waistband. The other type, on the other hand, requires that its sensor pads to be assembled underneath the mat or bed.
3. Sensor Design. Clip-ons are normally equipped with intricate sensor systems and all these are contained within the handheld device. The sensors of the under-the-mattress baby movement monitors, on the other hand, are encased within the pads. Both sensor constructions are efficient. However, the under-the-mattress assemblies feature more controls for settings configuration, thus enabling tweaking of the sensor pads’ sensitivity levels.
Advantages of Using Clip-Ons
Clip-on baby movement monitors are very popular and it is such for very good reasons.
1. Mobility. Perhaps the most notable feature of these types of baby movement monitors would be mobility.Being small and lightweight, such allow parents to perform baby movement monitoring even while on the go.
2. Use for Co-Sleeping. Because these monitors are positioned really close to the baby’s body, that is, just right above the abdominal area, independent monitoring is then made possible. So the child can readily share the bed with other siblings, and parents can still get to rely on accurate reading.
Benefits of Utilizing Under-the-Mattress Assemblies
These movement monitors may be viewed by others as bulky and rather complicated to set up. However, these very same reasons enable the under-the-mattress types to deliver the maximum performance at all times. And these are just some of the benefits you’ll get to obtain when you opt for this design.
• Highly Programmable Device. As was mentioned, these types of baby movement monitors come with a handful of controls to allow tweaking of its various settings. Aside from having controls for setting sensor pad sensitivity levels, alarm time and even audible alarm volumes can be configured too.
• Supplementary Features. Some of these units come built in with nifty nightlights. So if your baby is the type who gets awaken by sudden opening of main room lights, then you will definitely find the feature handy. Room thermometers are smart add-ons on some brands too. Some even allow setting of temperature ranges and issue an alarm whenever temperatures go way up or down the identified limits.
Baby movement monitors, especially brands manufactured by long-established baby care device makers, are backed by sufficient after-sale support. So should you face any problem with your unit, you can always place a call to the customer hotline for assistance. And perhaps the greatest thing, aside from the crucial monitoring it provides, is that these products are quite reasonably priced considering the purpose they serve. For a little over $100, you get a gadget that will help you watch over and guard your darling child from SIDS during the delicate stage of infancy.